Wednesday 16 September 2015

Not Exactly What I Had in Mind


I write this post from bed rest....for after almost a week of crazy fevering, a visit to a hospital isolation room and enough blood work for the year....I was diagnosed with Mono. Yes, the teenager kissing disease has found its way into our home. While I am thankful that it is Mono and not some African parasite this is not exactly what I had in mind for our Autumn.

My last post mentioned our family transitioning into a season of settling in....it appears I spoke too soon. So, ordered to two weeks of bed rest with a preschooler and a newly adopted toddler our family of four once again finds ourselves at home together. We are so thankful that Daddy has a job he is able to be flexible with....and a grandma who is able to fly across the country to lend a hand while he gets things settled.

Once again our house has been flooded with food and baking....and man do we know how to pick friends who are good bakers! Once again people have brought us groceries and taken our son on "adventures". Our laundry has been done for us and our yard work completed. As I sleep most of our days away....and cuddle my kids in our bed the rest of the time we are being carried by an extraordinary community. We are blessed.

So while my favourite season passes by I watch it for the first time through the window of our bedroom. I am given the opportunity to reflect on just how blessed we are. Our children giggle in the hallway outside my door....they scream and fight occasionally too....meals arrive at our door and neighbours check in to see how we are doing. Even though this appears to be the season of the unexpected.....of illness and flooded basements...there is blessing in the unexpected. We have found ourselves in a season of needing others, of having to humbly accept the help we need. In return we have been shown incredible love. Maybe not exactly what I had in mind.....but it has filled my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin!
    I hope you are recovering quickly. It is unfortunate we did not have a chance to meet while we were in South Africa. I apologize, but I only found the note you sent me on Facebook this week! Facebook Messenger does not notify me of 'non-friend' emails. They get hidden in a folder that I did know even existed until another friend commented on finding a bunch of hidden messages in their same folder.
    Naylah Akhiwe has brought us nothing but joy and happiness since our return home. We miss everyone we met, and all the babas including Ada as well. We are so happy she has found such wonderful parents. I have a couple of pictures of Ada I took from the baby home I would like to share with you. Please send me an email. My email is mikestephens99@hotmail.com.

    Cheers,
    Mike, Shaila and Naylah

    ReplyDelete